The latest research finds that journaling, or writing a daily diary, is a surefire method for increasing happiness and improving your success in life?
Psychologist and researcher James Pennebaker at University of Texas has found among other benefits that regular journaling strengthens immune cells and decreases the symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
writing removes mental blocks and allows you to use all of your brainpower to better understand yourself, others and the world around you.
The benefits of journaling
Research show that daily journaling can help you to:
- Clarify your thoughts and feelings
- Know yourself better
- Reduce stress
- Helps you solve problems more effectively
- And help you resolve disagreements with others
But there is even more research from many different universities on the astounding benefits of writing.
I just chose a few, but there is so much research and evidence that you would be crazy to not journaling doing immediately.
- Participants writing about “imaginary” traumas also showed improvements in physical health (Greenberg et al., 1996)
- Writing about the “worries” relating to an exam before it takes place significantly improves test scores, especially for those who are normally anxious about exams ( Ramirez & Beilock, 2011)
- Participants who wrote about their relationship were significantly more likely to still be dating their romantic partners 3 months later (Slatcher & Pennebaker, 2006)
- Spending 2 minutes writing for 2 consecutive days caused people to have fewer physical symptoms at 4 to 6 weeks follow up than did controls (Burton & King, 2008)
- A decreases in male’s aggressive behavior was evident in relationships when the male was assigned to the expressive writing condition, however, when the female had been assigned to the expressive writing condition, there was a strong decrease in marital satisfaction within the couple(Baddeley & Pennebaker, 2009)
Did you imagine even for a second that daily journaling could have such beneficial effects on your health?
Has your doctor ever told you about keeping a daily diary to help with these and other health issues?
It’s evident that sometimes the most simple things, when done consistently, can have a dramatic influence on your health and life.
And these solutions are available to everybody, they are free and you can start straight away.
The same is true with POWER Questions. What drug has EVER achieved a 91% rate of effectiveness? NONE! But POWER Questions have proven to offer just that and help people:
- Feel happier in life
- Feel like life has more meaning
- Engage in life more
- Reach goals more consistently
A phone is great tool to help keep a diary if you don’t think you would ever write one.
You can just use the voice to text option that most phones have and record your daily diary using your voice.
You can also set it up to record the journal next to your POWER Question results using the handy Google App (POWER Questions app instruction here), therefore making it easy to correlate the data when you want to analyse the results.
Daily journaling combined with your POWER Questions are powerful, free, easy to use techniques for improving your mental and physical health as well as your life.
If you need help setting them up or advice on how to use them, just contact me and I will be happy to help.